In 1838, the Rev. W.C. Blair was sent by the Synod of Mississippi as a teacher and foreign missionary to the Texas frontier. He and his family builta house and school in Victoria in 1839. In that house the First Presbyterian Church of Victoria was organized on October 2, 1841, by eight charter members: James Norman Smith (Ruling Elder), Mrs. Smith, John Gray, Mary Keith, E. Leiter, Mrs. Chenault, and Susan M. Blair.
The first building was constructed on what is now DeLeon Plaza, by petition of the church trustees to the city officials, who granted the request of the church as long as they would build a “descent house” on it within thirty months. The building constructed was a frame structure without a roof or floor, and remained that way until the Rev. Daniel Baker came and gave a series of evangelical sermons and raised more funds, after which the building was finished.
Since those early days, we have been in three more locations; at Forrest and Liberty from 1873 to 1923, at the corner of Liberty and Goodwin from 1923 to 1967, and at: 2408 N. Navarro, from 1967 to present.
First Presbyterian Church Victoria, Texas is the fifth oldest Presbyterian Church in Texas. We began as a member of Brazos Presbytery, and then became a member of Mission Presbytery. During and following the Civil War, we were a part of the Presbyterian Church of the Confederate States, which became the Presbyterian Church in the United States. Following a merger with the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. in 1983, we became a part of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
Today, we continue our ministry in Victoria, Mission Presbytery, and the world. We look forward to serving Christ in the Crossroads for many years to come.